Cultural Directory of Slovakia

A branch of the main museum in Bratislava, the Museum of Carpathian German Culture, Nitrianske Pravno focuses on the history and culture of Hauerland.
Situated in Bratislava Castle on Castle Hill, the Museum of History SNM aims to acquire, preserve, scientifically and professionally process, use and make available collections documenting the development of society in Slovakia from the Middle Ages until the present. In this context of the museum’s specialisation it has a nationwide scope.
This massive rectangular structure with four corner towers stands on a rocky outcrop directly above the River Danube in the middle of Bratislava.
Kálmán Mikszáth Memorial House, Sklabina is the early 19th-century house in which the family of writer Kálmán Mikszáth settled in 1852. To this day the house remains in the ownership of relatives of the Mikszáth family. Kálmán Mikszáth himself spent his childhood here and returned while he was studying in Rimavská Sobota and Banská Štiavnica. The house was restored during the second half of the 20th century and a memorial exhibition on the writer, his life and work was opened in three rooms of the house in 1978.
Imre Madách Mansion, Dolná Strehová is dedicated to the life and work of Hungarian dramatist Imre Madách, whose family settled in Dolná Strehová in around 1430 - two early members of the family, Gašpar Madách senior and Gašpar Madách junior, were active in the area of literature and poetry during the 17th century. The original house burned down in 1717 and was subsequently restored, but in 1758 it once more fell victim to flames.
The Museum of Jewish Culture SNM originated as the Department of Jewish Culture at the Museum of History SNM, becoming an independent specialised museum institution in 1994. A national museum, its activities are focused on developing the spiritual and material Jewish culture and documenting the Holocaust in Slovakia.
Constructed in 1898 by the building firm Kollacsek and Wirth, Prešov Synagogue is a three-storey building without towers. The building is still in use today as a house of prayer. The relatively austere neo-Roman-Moorish façades cover a treasure of synagogue architecture. The richly-decorated interiors with their fully-preserved inventory are among the most attractive Jewish memorials in Slovakia. The women’s gallery houses the Barkány Collection of Judaica, an exhibition of the Museum of Jewish Culture SNM.
Trnava Synagogue was built in 1891 according to the plans of Viennese architect Jakub Gartner. The building, with its striking two-tower façade, has been partially reconstructed and now accommodates an exhibition of the Museum of Jewish Culture (installed in the women’s gallery) and a contemporary art space used by Synagogue - Center of Contemporary Art, Ján Koniarek Gallery in Trnava. In front of the Synagogue is a memorial to victims of the Holocaust, built after World War II according to a design by architect Artur Szalatnai-Slatinský.
In the past, two separate Jewish communities operated in Žilina. Today the Jewish religious community uses the Orthodox house of prayer, which also incorporates one of the exhibitions of the Museum of Jewish Culture SNM. Though no longer used for religious purposes, the former neological synagogue is one of the most significant examples of modern synagogue architecture in Europe. This remarkable functionalist building was built in 1929-31 according to the designs of important German architect Peter Behrens.
The Museum of Magyar Culture and the Danube, Komárno originated in 1886 with the activities of various museum and educational societies which remained active until end of World War II. The most prominent of these was the Jokai Educational and Museum Society, active from 1911 to 1945. In 1948 this society was housed in the building of the District Museum Society at Komárno, a remarkable pseudo-Romantic structure built in 1913. In 1949 it was renamed the Museum of Magyar Culture and the Danube, Komárno.
Originally constructed in Gothic style during the period 1272-1277, Modrý Kameň Castle belonged for several centuries to the prominent Old Hungarian family Balass, who adapted the castle several times and established it as part of the anti-Turkish line of defence. The castle was also the birthplace of the famous Old Hungarian Renaissance poet Valentín Balass. Destroyed in 1593 by Turkish forces, it was rebuilt in 1612 with a new bastion, new artillery platforms and deep embankments below the lower castle.
The Museum of the Slovak National Councils SNM depicts almost 160 years of the history of the Slovak people and their battles for self-determination, independence and statehood. Its orientation is educational and all Slovak citizens are required to visit the museum within the framework of their general education.
A branch of the Museum of the Slovak National Councils SNM, this museum is dedicated to Milan Rastislav Štefánik (1880-1919), one of the founders of Czechoslovakia. Opened in 1990 in the 19th-century evangelical church where Štefánik was born, it presents Štefánik’s life and work through six rooms of exhibitions covering his military, diplomatic and political activities.
The Museum of Ukrainian Culture in Svidník is a specialised museum with a nationwide scope, the mission of which is to document the basic stages of cultural-historical, political and social development of the Ukrainian-Ruthenians of Slovakia from the oldest times until the present.
Opened in 1983 in an 18th-century Baroque mansion, the Dezider Milly Gallery is a branch of the Museum of Ukranian-Ruthenian Culture in Svidník which exhibits the fine arts of the Ukranian-Ruthenian community in Slovakia from the 16th century up to the present day, with a special focus on the work of national artist Dezider Milly (1906-1971).The gallery presents the development of iconographical art from the 16th-18th centuries and contains one of the oldest and most valuable collections of Ukrainian-Ruthenian icons in Svidník.
Opened in 1982 as a branch of the Museum of Ukrainian-Ruthenian Culture in Svidník, this 10-hectare open air folkloric museum presents the traditional lifestyle of the Ukrainian-Ruthenian community of Slovakia.
The Music Museum SNM in Bratislava is a documentary, science and research institution as well as methodological museum workplace with a nationwide scope that collects, protects, professionally handles, uses and opens up museum collections of a musical character documenting the field of musical culture from the earliest time until the present.
German composer Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) visited Dolná Krupá Mansion on several occasions. He was a friend of the Brunswick family who owned the house and dedicated several of his compositions to them. It is said that Beethoven composed his Moonlight Sonata there.
The Natural Science Museum SNM is a national museum which focuses on the research, documentation and presentation of the diversity and development of the living and non-living natural environment in Slovakia. Through its collections it ranks among the most important natural science museums in Europe. The acquisition activities of the museum are focused primarily on the territory of Slovakia.
Founded in 1884 on the initiative of the Spiš Historical Association, Spiš Museum initially had its headquarters in a Gothic house, the so-called Stallung in Mäsiarska street. In 1955 it acquired Levoča Town Hall for the installation of its historical exhibition. In 1968 the museum became responsible for St James's Church at Levoča (a National Cultural Monument), and in January 1989 it took over the management of Spiš Castle, a registered UNESCO World Heritage Site. Spiš Museum became part of the Slovak National Museum in 2002.
Levoča Town Hall dates back to the 15th century and incorporates a Renaissance tower built as a bell-tower between 1656 and 1661. The first floor houses exhibition rooms of Spiš Museum SNM .
Master Pavol’s House is a restored medieval burgher’s house whose most famous owner Master Pavol of Levoča is remembered as the creator of the highest Gothic altar in the world at the Church of St James in Levoča.
A set of medieval building objects with original art and craft equipment has been preserved in Levoča. This set is the peak of Master Paul’s work. His hands are likely to create the highest Late Gothic wing altar in the world located in Levoča‘s parish church of St. Jacob. This monumental main altar together with the altar of St. Johns in a unique way document the style and opinion change of the end of the Middle Ages and incoming Modern Times.
Situated above the town of Spišské Podhradie and the village of Žehra in the Spiš region of eastern Slovakia, the ruins of Spiš Castle form one of the largest castle sites in Central Europe. The castle and its surroundings (including Spišská Kapitula and the Church of the Holy Spirit at Žehra) were inscribed in 1993 on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Located some four kilometres from Spiš Castle, Spišské Podhradie became an important centre of craft production by the 14th century. In 1412 it was given to the Polish King in exchange for a financial loan.
The Ľudovít Štúr Museum SNM in Modra was set up in 1965 as a specialised literary museum.
Originally developed as a part of the Museum of History SNM (Slovak National Museum), the Museum of Croatian Culture SNM in Slovakia was established in 2006 as an independent specialised museum. The museum collects, preserves, professionally processes and presents the material and documents related to the history and culture of the Croatians from their arrival in Slovakia to the present day.
The Slovak National Gallery was founded in 1948 as the supreme state institution in the fields of art history, art collecting, scientific research, culture and education.
Opened in 1997 the Gallery of Naïve Art is housed at Schaubmar Mill, a monument of culture and technology built in Pezinok-Cajla in 1767. Administered by the Slovak National Gallery, the Gallery is the first of its kind in Slovakia.
Opened in 1969, Ľudovít Fulla Gallery was built to deposit and exhibit works of art presented to the Slovak National Gallery by Ľudovít Fulla (1902-1980), one of the most distinguished Slovak artists whose work was closely linked to modern European art streams. It is located in the house where Fulla spent the last two years of his life.
Zvolen Castle was built by the Hungarian king Louis I of Anjou in 70s of the 14th century as a Gothic residence influenced by architecture of Italian city palaces. Originally it served as an occasional residence of the king, however due to Turkish threat it was rebuilt into a Renaissance fortress in 16th century.
A branch of the Slovak National Library (SNK) in Martin, the Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin Literary Museum was set up in 1979 in Brodzany Mansion, a 17th-century Renaissance chateau whose owners the Friesenhofs were related by marriage to the great Russian Romantic writer.
Opened in 1991, the Andy Warhol Museum of Modern Art, Medzilaborce was founded on the initiative of Andy Warhol's brother John, art teacher Dr Michal Bicko, Vladimír Protivňák of the Academy of Ruthenian Culture in Slovakia and the Club of Friends of Fine Art at Medzilaborce (FFAM). The museum's predecessor was a small FFAM gallery which, together with the Andy Warhol Society, expended considerable effort to establish a permanent museum dedicated to the life and work of the celebrated American Pop Artist.
The Balneological Museum was founded in 1931 by the Piestany Museum Society and the Winter family, lessors of Piešťany spa resort. Originally a museum of local history, it has specialised since 1966 in balneology (the science of baths or bathing, especially the study of the therapeutic use of mineral baths) and the history of Slovak watering places and climatic spas.
The site of Devín Castle – a cliff high above the confluence of the Danube and Morava rivers upstream from Bratislava – has been occupied almost continuously since Neolithic times. It is known to have been fortified during the Bronze and Iron Ages, and both the Celts and the Romans built strong fortresses here; the first Christian church located north of the Danube has been identified amongst the Roman ruins.
Founded in 1937 in a small Renaissance-style garden house in a courtyard behind DIVYD - Glass Gallery and Hummel Music Shop where he was born, the J N Hummel Museum documents the life and work of piano virtuoso, composer and teacher Johann Nepomuk Hummel (1778-1837), who was born in Pressburg (present-day Bratislava).
Creation of art collection based on research, its protection and evaluation, professional administration, its accessing for the public, its use in terms of art history and cultural education due to contribute research and recognition of art and culture in Slovakia are subject matter of activities of the gallery.
Founded in 1889, the Central Slovakia Museum, Banská Bystrica is the oldest continuous cultural facility in the town, which opened its first exhibition in 1909. In 1958 the museum relocated to Thurzo House, one of the most beautiful and typical houses of the historic heart of Banská Bystrica. From 1492 to 1540 Thurzo House was the headquarters of the Thurzo-Fugger Company, then one of the world's largest copper mining concerns. It was reconstructed into its present-day form in the second half of the 16th century.
The East Slovakia Gallery, Košice was opened in 1951 as the first regional gallery in Slovakia.
The East Slovakia Museum, Košice is one of the oldest in Slovakia. It was set up in 1872 as an Association Museum under the name the Upper-Hungarian Museum (Felsőmagyarországi múzeum). During its more than 130 years of existence it has collected practically half a million objects from the domain of art history, crafts, history, numismatics, ethnography, natural history, photography.
Established in 1969 as the District Museum at Galanta and renamed in 1990, the Homeland Museum documents the history of the milling trade in the Malý Dunaj (Little Danube) River Basin and the lower reaches of the River Váh.
The Homeland Museum, Hanušovce nad Topľou is a regional museum with responsibility for documenting the history and living and non-living nature of the Vranov nad Toplou District. Opened in 1975, it is located in Hanušovce Mansion, a Renaissance-Baroque mansion built at the turn of the 18th century, the most characteristic feature of which is its massive corner towers. The interiors and facade of the mansion boast rich stucco decoration.
Established in 1959, the Homeland Museum at Hlohovec is a typical regional museum of homeland character whose collections represent the basic branches of social and natural sciences. The museum is located in the Franciscan Monastery at Hlohovec, built in 1942 on the orders of Vavrinec Ujlaky and now a protected cultural monument, with an additional exhibition hall on Razusova Street.
The Homeland Museum in Považská Bystrica which is situated in Jasenica Mansion is a regional museum with responsibility for documenting the history and living and non-living nature of Považská Bystrica.
The Horehronie Museum was set up as a homeland museum of the then Brezno District in 1960. Since 1965 it has acquired the status of a regional museum with special orientation to local history. The museum is housed in two buildings – the former Town Hall, a 16th-century building of Renaissance design which acquired its present Late Baroque appearance in 1779-1780, and a renovated burgher house dating from the end of the 16th century; both buildings are National Cultural Monuments.
Kežmarok Museum was founded in 1926 and opened its first exhibition in the entrance tower of Kežmarok Castle in 1931. In 1935 the museum was extended into the Castle's oblong tower. During World War II some items of the museum collections were stolen, but the museum was reopened in 1947.Initially a regional museum focusing on Kežmarok and its surrounding area, it has since developed a more sociological orientation.
Kežmarok Castle was constructed as a defensive castle shortly before 1463, when it is first mentioned in connection with the Hungarian Zápoľský family. It was acquired in 1577 by the Thoköly family which had the existing Gothic fortress rebuilt as a luxurious Rennaisance residence. They also built the Baroque chapel. Confiscated by the Habsburgs in the late 17th century following the Thoköly family’s involvement in a failed anti-imperial plot, the castle was sold in 1687 to Ferdinand Rueber, but following his death it was purchased in 1702 by the town of Kežmarok.
Founded in 1981 on the initiative of 13 fine artists, Kysuce Gallery is a regional gallery of the Čadca district. Originally based at Oščadnica Manor House, it was moved in 1992 to Čadca Town Hall, retaining Oščadnica Manor House (see below) as a venue for changing exhibitions.
Founded in 1972 as a District Museum, Kysuce Museum acquired its present name in 1974. In 1973-1975 it carried out a survey into the folk architecture of Kysuce, and in 1974-1981 it undertook extensive research into the inundated villages of Riecnica and Harvelka, collecting and purchasing objects in the field for its collection. The museum has also acquired numerous important archaeological objects through research activity and field surveys in numerous other locations around Kysucke.
The Museum of Literature and Music in Banská Bystrica is situated near the city's historical centre and is one of the newest museums in Slovakia. It was established in 1969 to document the library and musical culture of the central Slovakian regions of Banská Bystrica and Brezno.
Jozef Gregor Tajovský Memorial House, built in 1799, is currently a cultural monument that is dedicated to the memory of a famous Slovak writer Joseph Gregor Tajovský (1874 -1940). Entrance room captures the history of the village of Tajov, second and third rooms are devoted to life and literary works of Tajovský and the fourth room is ethnographic in nature. In it the original interior of anteroom with hearth and smoke house have been preserved. The fifth room documents life and work Tajovský’s wife, the woman writer Hana Gregorová (1885-1958).
Housed in the Municipal Office, the Pavol Tonkovič Memorial Hall, Podkonice is dedicated to the memory of collector of folk music, conductor, pedagogue and composer Pavol Tonkovič (1907-1980). The exhibition documents Tonkovič’s life and work and also presents the history and ethnology of Podkonice.
Small Carpathian Museum in Pezinok is, following a two-year reconstruction work, again open to the public from November 18, 2008. With the use of finances from the EU funds and a founder of the museum - Bratislava Self- Governing Region, the museum building and its basement underwent a complete reconstruction.
Founded in 1956 and initially housed in the Provincial Building on St Nicholas' Square in Stara Ľubovňa, Ľubovňa Museum was relocated in 1966 to Ľubovňa Castle. The museum collects historic, ethnographic and artistic items, concentrating on the area of Stará Ľubovňa. Special exhibitions include:The Crafts exhibition, which shows the basic crafts pursued in this region, particularly those from nearby villages;History of the castle – basic events in history of the castle;
Established in 1969, the M. A. Bazovský Gallery in Trenčín is named after National Artist Miloš Alexander Bazovský (1899-1968), an outstanding Slovak painter who spent the last years of his Iife (1962-1968) in Trenčín. It is housed in a reconstructed historical building from the turn of the 19th and 20th century in Palacký street no. 27.
The traditions of collecting documentary material relating to mining at Gelnica stretch back to the times of Empress Maria Theresia. However, the present museum was founded in 1963 in the building of the former town hall.
The Mining Museum at Rožňava was opened in 1943 following the merger of two older museum institutions – the museum of the Borsod-Gemer branch of the Hungarian Provincial Mining and Metallurgical Society and Rožňava Museum, both dating from 1912. Closed during World War II, the museum reopened in 1956 with a mining and metallurgy exhibition. It has since developed and now owns abundant collections from the fields of mining and metallurgy, geology and mineralogy, natural history, archaeology, history, art history and history of technology.
The Museum of Education and Pedagogy, Bratislava is a central museum of education. It was established in 1970 by a decision of the Ministry of Education.
The Museum of Special Education (MŠŠ) in Levoča was founded on the initiative of the Society for Special and Curative Education under Dr Vladimír Predmerský as a historical and documentation centre for special and curative education.
Orava is a region in the northernmost part of Slovakia. Covering 8 hectares in a beautiful landscape under the West Tatra mountains, Museum of Orava village displays rural building, living and farming in Orava region in the past.Originally, there were only pastures in this place. In 1967 building of the museum began and succesively 56 houses from various Orava villages were removed here. Almost all of them are wooden log-cabin houses, so they were disassembled at the original place, removed to the museum and here reassembled.
Founded in 1912 by the Liptov Museum Society, the Liptov Museum was taken over in 1921 by Ružomberok Municipality. Since 1937 it has been housed in a building constructed by the municipality to a design by V Donner. In 1974 the museum was affiliated with the Ethnography Museum at Liptovský Hrádok. Since its inception the museum has developed the character of a homeland museum with a wide range of collections which focus on the Liptov region.
Liptov Village Museum in Pribylina is the youngest open-air museum in Slovakia, available since 1991. It's establishment is related to the construction of water reservoir of Liptovská Mara, in order to protect the most valuable movable and immovable estates. Liptov Village Museum exhibition documents the housing and the way of life of Liptov's population with different social backgrounds in the past. Besides wooden folk architecture also medieval stone buildings, an early Gothic church and a Gothic-Renaissance style mansion are present.
at Banská Bystrica is a specialised national Museum which documents the development of Slovak society between 1938-1945, with a focus on the anti-fascist resistance and the Slovak National Uprising. It is a national museum and its professional, methodical, co-ordinating and consultative functions have an international scope. The museum was founded in 1955, taking over the responsibilities of the former Institute of the Slovak National Uprising that had existed in Banská Bystrica since 1947.
The Winter of 1944-5 saw the systematic suppression of the armed revolt of the Slovak people – the Slovak National Uprising (SNP). A mere suspicion of assistance rendered to insurgents was often sufficient reason for bloody reprisals against local people. On the night of 17-18 March 1945 the Germans encircled and set aflame the Upper Hron village of Kalište. Of the 42 original houses only six remained. After the war, the foundations of the burned houses scattered across the hillside were conserved and the cemetery and the chapel were restored.
Part of the Museum of the Slovak National Uprising, the Nemecká Memorial has been established to remember the tragic events of January 1945 at Kofroň lime kiln near the village of Nemecká, when the Nazi security police under SS-Obersturmfuhrer Dr Kurt Georg Herbert Deffner, supported by members of the Hlinka Guard, carried out a mass execution of participants in the Slovak National Uprising, their family members and sympathisers, plus a large number of Roma ethnic people. Estimates of the number of people killed range from 500 to 900.
Established in 1951, the Museum of the Spiš Region, Spišská Nová Ves is located in the former Spišská Nová Ves Town Hall, one of the most valuable historical buildings in the town whose foundations are believed to date from the 15th century. In 1774 it became the Provincial House, seat of the newly-constituted province of the 16 Spiš Towns. Today the building is noteworthy for its façade, decorated by six Rococo stucco cartouches, which dates from the 18th century.
The Museum of Trade, Bratislava originated in 1983 as a Documentation Centre of Trade, Catering and Tourism set up by the former Ministry of Trade and Tourism SSR. The Museum of Trade as self-standing unit came into being on 1 January 1991. It is now managed by the Ministry of Economy.
Žitný Ostrov-Csallóköz Museum, Dunajska Streda was founded in 1964 in the so-called Yellow Manor House (Žltý kaštieľ), taking over the collections and functions an the earlier museum established in 1927 at Šamorín. Its permanent exhibition comprises 11 thematic units focusing on the archaeological and palaeontological, historical and ethnological development of the region.
Nitra Gallery in Nitra was founded in 1965. It is based in the former zhupa house which is a cultural monument and is part of the urban monument reserve. This Baroque building was constructed in 1784 on earlier foundations and rebuilt in 1874 in neo-Baroque style according to the design of architect Dümmler. In 1905-1908 architect Czigler rebuilt the building as a four-winged palace in art nouveau style both interior and exterior. The zhupa house is a significant part of the relics reservation and is located at the entrance to the Nitra Upper Town.
Novohrad Museum in Lučenec was established in the year 1955 as a District Museum in Halič. In the years 1967 - 1985 was relocated to Fiľakovo under the name of Novohrad Museum. Since the year 1985 has been settled in the monument building of county courthouse in the historical centre of the town Lučenec.
Orava Gallery in Dolný Kubín was established in 1965 to showcase the vigorous creative culture of the Orava region. The administrative headquarters of Orava Gallery is the County Hall, built at the end of the 17th century.
The Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav Museum of Orava, Dolný Kubín was founded in 1980 through a merger of the Orava Museum at Oravský Podzámok and the Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav Literary Museum at Dolný Kubín. Named after the great Slovak poet, dramatist, translator and politician Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav (1849-1921), it is housed in the building of the Čaplovič Library, which it also administers.
Magnificently situated on a 112-metre cliff above Oravský Podzámok village, Orava Castle was built in the 13th century on the site of an earlier, wooden fortification and subsequently became an important administrative and defensive focus within the Orava region. After 1474 Hungarian King Matthias Corvinus extended the castle, constructing a palace and inhabitable wings in the upper section.
The Peter Michal Bohúň Gallery, Liptovský Mikuláš was founded in 1955 with the aim of collecting, protecting, managing and scientifically processing works of ancient and modern art and making them accessible to the public. Besides contemporary art, its activity also focuses on 19th-century works of art, with the extensive collection of painter and graphic artist Peter Michal Bohúň (1822-1879) taking pride of place. The gallery's collecting activity covers the entire Slovakia, but focuses particularly on the region of Liptov and its environs.
Podtatranské Museum, Poprad originated in 1876 as an initiative of the Hungarian Carpathian Society, but due to disagreements over location, two museums – the Tatran Museum in Veľká (1882) and the Carpathian Museum in Poprad (1886) – were initially established. In 1945 these two museums were joined to form the Tatran Museum of Poprad, which acquired its present name in 1961. In 1978 the museum acquired a satellite building in Spišská Sobota, which today serves as an exhibition space.
TThe Pohronie Museum, Nová Baňa originated in 1952 as a municipal museum founded on the initiative of antiquities collector Anton Solčansky. In 1988 it was turned into a museum with a local history orientation for the Pohronie region. The headquarters of the museum are in the former Town Hall – a four-storey Gothic building dating from the second half of the 14th century which was rebuilt in the mid 18th century. It is now a National Cultural Monument.
The Police Museum Bratislava is the only museum of its type in Slovakia. It documents the establishment, development and activities of the security and police services in Slovakia.
The Museum of Art Žilina as the only institution in the Žilina Self-Governing Region it specialises in the research and presentation of contemporary art. Thi s strategy, mirrored in the acquisition policy, sets the Museum apart from the other museum in the region. It is the only Museum in the town that also collects and presents fine arts. In the Museum is opened the pernament exhibition of the art works of Vincent Hložník.
Opened in 1956 at Budatín Castle, the Považie Museum, Žilina is a regional museum which focuses on local archaeology and history and the tinker trade.The museum’s collections originated with those of the former Žilina Municipal Museum (1942) and now comprise over 100,000 objects from the fields of natural science, archaeology, history and ethnography.
Located in the historic Rákoczi Palace in the centre of Prešov, Prešov Regional Museum originated in 1945 as a Municipal Museum, later becoming a Regional Museum and from 1961 the Museum of the Slovak Council Republic.
The Šariš Gallery was set up in 1956 as a regional gallery in Prešov. One of the earliest regional galleries in Slovakia, it began its exhibition activity in 1957 and relocated to its present home – two restored burgher houses – in 1981. The gallery acquired its present name in 1991.
Established in 1903 as a museum of the Šariš zhupa (district) and located in the Old Town Hall (1505–1511), Šariš Museum documents the development of nature and society in the Upper Šariš region.
The National Cultural Monument Banská Štiavnica Town Castle (known as the Banská Štiavnica Town Castle) is one of the enduring features of the former royal town. It came into being following the Renaissance reconstruction of the original 13th-century Romanesque Church of the Virgin Mary and its integration into the town fortification system during the period 1546-1559. This reconstruction into a central anti-Turk fortress turned the main nave of the former church into a castle courtyard.
Housed in three renovated mid 16th-century buildings in Holy Trinity Square, the Jozef Kollár Gallery, Banská Štiavnica displays valuable works of art from the collections of the Slovak Mining Museum, most of which originate from the Banská Štiavnica region. Some exhibits from other mining regions may also be found here.
Located at Berggericht, seat of the Mining Court from the 16th century and later used by the famous Mining Academy (Banskej akadémie), the Mineralogical Exhibition comprises a systematic mineralogy display representing over 400 types of mineral.
Slovak Technical Museum (STM) offers an insight into the history and traditions of science and technology. Being the main centre of museum documentation of science development as well as of manufacturing and technology it administers ample collections, initiates care-taking of selected technical monuments in situ in the whole territory of Slovakia, provides technical assistance for their preservation and renovation. It also surveys the contribution of Slovakia and its personalities to development of world science and technology.
Built in around 1859, the blacksmith’s workshop on Hlavná street in Moldava nad Bodvou near Košice is one of few workshops of its kind that have been preserved in relatively good condition. Built of stone, it incorporates an authentic double-fire forge, a wide open chimney, a smith’s workbench and various smithery tools, including tongs, drops and other manual tools and instruments, including instruments for shoeing horses. A small gallery houses period paintings and photographs of the town, along with an operating weaving loom.
Opened in 1990 at Budimir Mansion, the Historical Timepiece Exhibition is a branch of the Slovak Technical Museum dedicated to the history of time measuring and clocks.
Budimir Mansion is a Classicist building constructed in the mid 18th century for the Ujházy family. The rooms feature splendid cross and cloistral vaulted ceilings and a wall painting has survived in the former representative hall. The house stands in park fenced in Classicist style.