Kežmarok Castle

Mestský hrad v Kežmarku
Contact: Erika Cintulová (f) Director
Hradné námestie 42, 060 01 Kežmarok, Slovakia
421 (0) 52 452 2618-9
421 (0) 52 452 3526

Kežmarok Castle was constructed as a defensive castle shortly before 1463, when it is first mentioned in connection with the Hungarian Zápoľský family. It was acquired in 1577 by the Thoköly family which had the existing Gothic fortress rebuilt as a luxurious Rennaisance residence. They also built the Baroque chapel. Confiscated by the Habsburgs in the late 17th century following the Thoköly family’s involvement in a failed anti-imperial plot, the castle was sold in 1687 to Ferdinand Rueber, but following his death it was purchased in 1702 by the town of Kežmarok. The castle burnt down several times from the 18th to the 20th centuries, but on each occasion it was subsequently repaired. Kežmarok Museum was opened in the entrance tower in 1931 and extended in 1935. However, a reconstruction of 1951-1953 damaged and destroyed many precious wall frescoes and paintings. More recently general restoration work was carried out between 1962 and 1985.

A tour of the castle grounds includes a visit to the castle chapel and the viewing tower.