Kežmarok Museum

Múzeum v Kežmarku
Contact: Erika Cintulová (f) Director
Mestský hrad, Hradné námestie 42, 060 01 Kežmarok, Slovakia
421 (0) 52 452 2619, 421 (0) 52 428 0072
421 (0) 52 452 3526
Oct-Apr: 8am-3pm Mon-Fri, closed Sat-Sun; May and Sep: 9am-4pm daily; Jun-Aug: 9am-4.30pm Tue-Fri, 9am-4pm Sat-Mon

Kežmarok Museum was founded in 1926 and opened its first exhibition in the entrance tower of Kežmarok Castle in 1931. In 1935 the museum was extended into the Castle's oblong tower. During World War II some items of the museum collections were stolen, but the museum was reopened in 1947.

Initially a regional museum focusing on Kežmarok and its surrounding area, it has since developed a more sociological orientation.

The Archaeology exhibition presents a selection of archaeological findings from Kežmarok and its environs, focused particularly on the castle; the Feudalism exhibition of has three parts - city privileges, guilds and crafts, and the town hall parlour; the Kežmarok Gun Club exhibition includes relics which once belonging to the oldest Kežmarok Gun Clubs dating back to 1510; and the Club of Spiš Doctors and Pharmacists exhibition focuses on work of Vojtech Alexander MD, a native of Kežmarok and a pioneer of roentgenology in the Hungarian Empire. There are also exhibitions on Weapons; Kežmarok and the High Tatras; and the History of Kežmarok Fire Brigade.

Besides administering Kežmarok Castle, Kežmarok Museum is in charge of several other buildings in Kežmarok, including the old Kežmarok School with its Exhibition of Literary Traditions of Kežmarok Lyceum; a wooden articular church; two burgher houses; and the tower of the former city fortification.